Monday, November 26, 2007

Crisis Averted

In a cleansing burst of sanity, I've come to terms with my career crisis from last week.

What happened was my boss was mean to me. I drove home crying about how mean she was. As soon as I got home I started looking for another job so when I forced a confrontation with my boss about how mean she is and she fired me I would have a back up plan.

However, upon thinking calmly about the whole stupid situation, I realized that there are several components involved in her meanness.

1. She's mean. I've always known this about her. Sometimes she's kind of teasing, funny mean, but sometimes she's just mean.

2. She's obviously been really stressed out about something. It's probably work related, but it doesn't have enough to do with me that I know what it is. In summary, it's not my problem.

3. Maybe, at least sometimes, she doesn't like me. That may sound insecure, but sometimes I don't much like her, so I'm sure it's possible.

There is nothing I can do about any of these things, so there is no point in getting all freaked about it. I can get past the meanness and take the points she was trying to make that can help me do a better job.

I enjoy my job. I feel good about what I'm accomplishing, and I like most of the people I work with most of the time. If I look at the situation from Traivor's wise perspective that "Working sucks. That's why they have to pay you to do it." my job is really not that bad.

No comments: