Friday, August 10, 2007

Introducing Random Photo Friday

Don't ask me where this goofy idea came from, but I've decided that I will post a photo from my albums chosen by a complicated system involving a random number generator each Friday and reminisce a little bit.



This picture certainly isn't the most exciting, but it brings up great memories. It's some Indian ruins in the Painted Desert of Arizona taken in May 1997.

At the end of my sophomore year in college, I broke up with my "fiance." I put that in quotes because I never intended to marry him, but that's a different story. To clear my head of the weirdness of our relationship and the stress of leaving, I decided to take a road trip and get far away from the whole situation.

Except for some periods of adolescent difficulty on my part, I've always had a good relationship with my parents. I was telling them about my plans to skip town for a while, and my mom mentioned how much she'd like to run off, too, so I invited her along. We had such a blast. That was 10 years ago, and we still talk about how great that trip was.

We set out to the west of Dallas, and spent some time with my uncle in Cuidad Juarez. Then we moseyed through southern New Mexico and Arizona, ending up in San Diego. After that, we headed up the Pacific coast to see my aunt in San Francisco, and then made our way back south, stopping at the Sequoia forest, the Grand Canyon, and other random sights along the way.

By the time we made it to the Painted Desert in Arizona, we were both tired and starting to wear on each other a little bit. We would have these pissy little arguments and then end up giggling about how annoying we both were.

That trip with my mom was the perfect way to reconnect with myself and what was real in my life after leaving a relationship based on so many misunderstandings and disappointments.

No comments: