Tuesday, October 16, 2007

So, What's Up With That Pain in Your Neck?

Thanks for asking.

According to the MRI report I have a minor bulge in the disk between my C5 and C6 vertebrae. It is not currently "wreaking havoc," which is a relief, I suppose, but somehow, that doesn't strike me as the proper technical medical terminology. Unfortunately, the orthopedist did not have the actual films to read, but I'm hoping that whoever wrote the report is trustworthy.

Evidently, this bulgy disk is causing cervical radiculopathy. I had to look that up to be sure that it wasn't some secret doctor-speak for "this patient has a ridiculous complaint" because when I heard it out loud, that's exactly what it sounded like to me.

I'll have to take plenty of pills, although none of the fun ones. Boo! Also, I have to subject myself to physical therapy a couple of times a week. The next step in the course of treatment is to receive some sort of "risky" neck injections, so I really want this drugs and therapy thing to work. The bad news is that these problems generally do progress, so someday (may it be many years from now) I probably will need surgery. In that case, I'm definitely insisting on the fun pills.

No comments: