Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Leaning Left

In this rare case I don't mean politically.

I worked hard to fight off a cold all last week, telling myself I just had to stay well through my birthday/house-awesoming party on Saturday night. I guess my brain came to some compromise with my germs because they patiently waited until Sunday evening to attack.

Saturday night was cool and very low key, and despite staying up until about 3:30 a.m., I woke up at a decent time on Sunday morning in a great mood. The Husband and I had a very enjoyable day together. I discovered cheese blintzes with blueberries and sour cream at Cyndi's N.Y. Delicatessen. So Good! We browsed at Half-Price Books, and I bought almost nothing I intended to, but still managed to walk out with an arm-full.

That evening we went for dinner at Shuck'n Jive, an oyster bar, which had inconveniently run out of oysters. The sore throat that had been plaguing me for a week began to reassert itself, and I can now recommend a spicy bloody Mary as an effective sore throat remedy.

However, the relief was short lived, and I spent the next two days snuffling and coughing while I wasted my Fourth of July vacation lying in bed, floating in a Sudafed and Benadryl induced haze. Well, I didn't waste the whole vacation. I roused myself on Monday night long enough for fondue and birthday prezzies courtesy of The Husband.

Today I woke up feeling much better after a good night's sleep, but on getting out of bed I nearly careened into the wall. The whole world seems slightly tilted to the left. It's not too bad overall because I mostly feel better, and the disorientation has me feeling slightly giddy. I'm hoping that one of my ears is just stuffed up and I don't have an inner-ear infection or something equally unpleasant. In the meantime, I'll just lurch around and do my best not to bounce off things.

No comments: