Thursday, June 03, 2004

This place sucks

I am not having a good day. I am tired out and kind of lonely, but that has pretty much been par for the course. However, today I got a big disappointment. When I first started researching coming to the UK I got this guidebook with photographs in the front. One of the most beautiful pictures I had ever seen was of Caerphilly Castle, and I thought, "No matter what else, I have to go there." It has big round towers and is surrounded by a moat (in which the sunset was reflected in that stupid photograph which lured me here). It is also in the middle of a stinky city with a 6 lanes of traffic whizzing by.

I already hated being in Cardiff. It's filthy and crowded and loud. Then when one of the things I was most looking forward to turned out to be so un-picturesque and un-lovely it killed my attitude. It's almost five now, and I'm back at the hostel. I'm going to lie in my bed and read a book and not step foot back outside until I'm ready to leave this place.

Moral of the story: Don't come to Cardiff.

No comments: