Friday, June 04, 2004

Escape from Cardiff

I made it out. I was so nervous because there is only one bus a day which leaves Cardiff for Caernarfon, which is where my next reservations were. If I missed it I would be screwed, so I got to the bus station about an hour early and asked three different people if I was waiting at the right stop, and sure enough - it showed up, I got on, and was whisked away.

However, I had to change buses in Aberystwyth, and although the bus driver told us where to get the bus and when it was leaving, he did not think to explain that the number of the bus would change or what it would change to. After waiting for half an hour in what was the wrong place anyway (thanks, bus driver) I realized I'd missed the bus, but I didn't even care. I would just stay there, just so long as it wasn't Cardiff. Luckily, there was another bus going in the right direction, so I made it to the place I intended to be after all. Not bad.

Caernarfon (pronounced ca-NAR-von) is a pretty town, which is fortunate because I plan to stay here for three nights. There are still medieval walls around the central part of town where my hostel is, so it's like walking into a castle whenever I go back to my room. Also, it's right on the sea. When the tide is out, it's right on a mud flat. BUT, when the tide is in it's a good view. Also, there is ''another'' castle here. I haven't decided if I'm going to spend the time and money to go in it, but a couple of people staying in my room said it was alot of fun.

What I really want to do is go to Mt. Snowden, the highest peak in England or Wales. It's in the middle of Snowdonia National Park, and there's a little train that will take you to the summit. The views are supposed to be gorgeous, except it's really cloudy and misty right now.

Well, hopefully Caernarfon will be a hit and I'll make it to Dublin after this instead of coming home in lonely defeat. Don't think I haven't thought about it.

No comments: