Monday, July 16, 2007

There's Plenty of Room for Improvement

But still, holy crap! I just "ran" half a mile.

Granted, it was v…e…r…y s…l…o…w…l…y. It took me 8 minutes, which puts my pace somewhat less than 4 mph - slower than many people walk. But I kept telling myself that slow was better than not at all.

Of course there had to be an extremely fit shirtless guy practicing wind sprints on the same block I was huffing and puffing my way down. I kept focused on fighting osteoporosis and cardiovascular disease and managed not to die of embarrassment. Hopefully if I stick with this I'll also manage not to die of lots of other things, too.

1 comment:

greeneagles said...

When I first started running seriously last August, I couldn't even run a half mile but managed to work my way up to 2 and 1/2 miles within a couple of months.

The first few times suck, but they get better. I found that i had to focus on breathing, but once I got to that first wall and pushed my way through, it felt great.

Unfortunately, I've got to go through that again since I've taken a few months off after the wedding.