Sunday, April 08, 2007

Operation Really Big Sweater: Quagmire Averted

It's a little late for my 1/4 year deadline, but I finally sucked it up and finished the ridiculous, enormous thing.



This is a good lesson on the importance of gauge. The gauge should have been 2.5 stitches per inch. Mine was evidently 2.23 stitches per inch. When I measure it over a few inches it seems to be perfectly accurate, but over 6 inches or more the difference becomes apparent. Being off by a fraction of a stitch resulted in a sweater that is 12% too big by my calculations.

I will always be much more particular about my gauge in the future, but working with 2 strands of a very bulky yarn probably compounded the problem. For example, the more normal sweater I wore to work today has a gauge of 8 stitches per inch, so being off by .27 stitches per inch on a sweater like that couldn't possibly compound itself to such a degree. . .right?

No comments: