Monday, August 16, 2004

I have a problem

The other day I tried to type the word "toy" and instead typed the word "you". What kind of messed-up Freudian slip is that?

This is only funny/weird if you have some familiarity with the novel ===Infinite Jest===, but when I Googled "David Foster Wallace" and "Infinite Jest" these are the sponsored links that showed up in the sidebar:

Sponsored Links Math Typesetting
Publish your scientific work via
Publicon's graphical interface
Wolfram.com/Publicon

SUV Accessories
SUV accessory items
laptop stands to cell phone holders
www.car-organizer-1.com

Turn Desires into Reality
Create More Dreams in Less Time
Using Holographic Mind Power!
www.ICreateReality.com

Infinite Jest: A Novel
Only $18.95. (or order used).
Qualified orders over $25 ship free
Amazon.com

The last one makes plenty of sense, and the first one is not entirely unjustifiable, but where on earth did those middle two come from? (#3 is my favorite.)

By the way, if you have not read ===Infinite Jest=== and you have the least bit literary bent/fucked-up sense of humor you are really missing something. If you have read it, I would love to hear your take on the end. No spoilers here, but I was disappointed, although not surprised. Very rarely do I read a novel that has a thoroughly satisfying conclusion that isn't a completely trite play on my emotions. In fact I can't think of a single one this minute. Any nominations for best literary ending?

No comments: