Monday, February 26, 2007

Over the Counter Comedy

I went to Target today to attempt to buy a cane for The Husband. I thought they would probably be near the pharmacy, but I couldn't find one, so I asked one of the pharmacists if they sold canes. She wasn't sure and wandered into the back to ask the other pharmacists, but it turned out that this Target doesn't sell canes.

It was no big deal, and I continued browsing among the other health-related items. Then I realized I could hear the pharmacists mocking my question. It was OK though, because it was funny.
No, we don't sell canes here. We don't support caning. I mean, I personally don't mind it, but the company doesn't support it.
On another note, I think I have been terribly spoiled by our consumerist culture. I went out today to purchase an extra-large trash can, a cane, and some sugar-free gummy bears. I was actually annoyed that I had to go to two different stores to get all three of these items. (Actually, I settled by getting jelly beans instead of gummy bears. Otherwise, I would have had to go to three stores.) Super Wal*mart probably would have all three things.

So which would have been less responsible - to waste gasoline and contribute to global warming and pollution by driving around trying to find everything I wanted, or to shop at Wal*mart and support a company that discriminates against women and minorities, undermines efforts by employees to unionize, and destroys small business?

P.S.
Sugar-free Jelly Belly jelly beans: Bad.
Sugar-free Jelly Belly gummy bears: Good.
Sugar-free Jelly Belly fruit slices: Really Good But Don't Eat Too Many Seriously.

No comments: