Thursday, April 19, 2007

Pink Martini

The Husband and I went to an incredible concert this weekend by Pink Martini and the Fort Worth Symphony Orchestra. Pink Martini is one of my absolute favorite bands, and I can't wait for their new album to come out next month. Here's how they describe themselves.
Somewhere between a 1930s Cuban dance orchestra, a classical chamber music ensemble, a Brasilian marching street band and Japanese film noir is the 12-piece Pink Martini.
They incorporate musical traditions from all over the globe into their compositions both in the languages and instruments they use. I couldn't even name most of the percussion instruments they were using to produce some amazing sounds. You can listen to their two albums, Sympathique and Hang on Little Tomato on their website.

Their concert was a unique event for me. I'm not a very aural personal, and I usually find myself responding most to the lyrics of songs since I'm more verbal. But on Saturday night I suddenly could "see" how all the parts of the songs were fitting together in a mosaic of sound. For a few brief moments I understood how the trumpet and the shekere and the cello and the conga drums all fit together. It was an incredible musical experience.

No comments: