Saturday, August 26, 2006

The Duckling Drinks Cabernet Sauvignon

Smoking Loon
2004 Cabernet Sauvignon
$8.99 at Central Market

This is the first entry in my wine under $10.00 experiment. I first tried Smoking Loon wine when Catherine brought me a bottle of Chardonnay in exchange for cat-sitting for a weekend. Usually, I don't care for Chardonnay, but I really enjoyed it. When I spottted the Cab in Central Market I thought I'd give it a try, and I'm not alone. The Smoking Loon Cab recently became the best-selling 750 ml bottle of Cabernet Sauvignon in the U.S.

It's a pretty dry wine with a black cherry flavor and undertones of licorice and black pepper. I found it to be very tasty and drinkable, but without a lot of complexity or a big finish. Overall, a great value at about $9 bucks.



And, it comes with an amusing cork:

No comments: