Sunday, November 19, 2006

Denied

With the weather getting cooler, I was in the mood to shop for some funky thrift shop sweaters this afternoon. I've usually gone to Thrift Village over in Garland. It's a long drive from here, but the store was huge and super cheap. I say *was* because it's gone now. I drove all the way over there only to be denied.

Trying to salvage the situation, I ended up stopping by Goodwill. Goodwill mostly sucks, however. It's not as cheap ($4.99 for a sweater as opposed to $1.99), and the selection isn't as good. Maybe there's some mega-Goodwill around town that would be really great. Let me know if you know where that would be or if you have a cool thrift store where you like to shop.

I ended up getting one sweater - a green wool v-neck from Old Navy. Somehow five bucks doesn't seem like that great a deal for a used Old Navy sweater. Also, I'm not that thrilled with buying wool. PETA has permanently scarred my brain with pictures of maimed sheep being raised for wool. But, when I'm buying second-hand clothes, my conscience doesn't feel so bad for buying animal products.

Maybe I'm just justifying my selfishness here, but one of the main reasons for not buying products I disagree with is to avoid economically supporting that industry. When I buy a wool sweater or a leather jacket from Goodwill, the money goes to support Goodwill, not anyone who profits from mistreating animals. In theory, I don't have any problem with animals being killed for food or materials - only with the way that industrial practices cause animals to suffer and harm to the environment. So, you can call me a hypocrite if you must, but at least it makes sense in my own head.

1 comment:

SerenitySprings said...

It makes sense in my head too. This seems like a very reasonable way to live life.